Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Homemade musli

Lately I have noticed the low quality of store bought muesli - the producers tend to change the ingredients, by using the cheaper ones, and still increase their price. Unhappy with a situation like that, I decided to prepare some of my own. 

Ingredients I have used:
4 oz dried figs,
4 oz raisins
4 oz dried apricots
4 oz cashew nuts
4 oz oat flakes
4 oz hazelnuts (whole or chopped) 

Note: originally I have used 100 grams of each ingredient, since we use the metric system in Europe, but I have recalculated it for you. Here is a great calculator for doing so.  

Chop all the ingredients (by hand or in a food processor) and pour it into a jar in which you intend to keep them and stir it by spoon or after closing the lid shake the entire jar.

Of course you can change the ingredient rates, this is the one that suits me.

 And here's my result:




Of course there is a great variation of the ingredients you can use, depending on your taste, eating habits, or eventual allergies.

For example:
dried fruit - dried cranberries, prunes
nuts - walnuts, pistachio, unsalted peanuts
cereals- corn, millet, rice flakes, etc.

The possibilities are really numerous, it is just up to you to adjust them to your taste.

The ingredients mentioned above can be found in a local supermarket. You can also buy already prepared mixture of dried fruits or nuts, but in my opinion these fruits contain too much sugar.

Bon apetit!


my own labels



12 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy. I bet it's great with dried cranberries too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't tried with cranberries yet, but it does sound yummy.
    I was trying to leave a comment on your blog, but I had difficulties with captcha, so I'll write it here (it's about your College confusion post)
    I studied sth similar - journalism and PR, and it turned out to be "not my cup of tea". Now I am SAHM, used to be an entrepreneur.
    I just wanted to say, you never know where your life-s gonna take you, no matter which degree you have. You can always educate and do something else if you're not happy with your current profession.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Just had it for breakfast! One blogger suggested I put cranberries in, and I tried and it's even more yummy!

      Delete
  4. So simple! Thanks for sharing...Visiting from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think muesli is much more healthy than granola mixes. Thanks for the reminder. Enjoy your SITS Day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! Homemade meusli tastes far superior to store bought!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea. It's probably more cost effective to make it yourself. I never considered doing it myself, but I'm always looking for simple things to have on hand when I'm on the go!

    Happy SITS Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks really good! I wonder how it would be with dried cranberries or cherries?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is delicious - I love making it and I also add cranberries...the perfect breakfast! Happy SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just hopped over from SITS - this sounds absolutely delicious, and I'm making a grocery list right now! Since I love berries, I think I'll also add dried cranberries & blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea! I didn't realize it was so easy to make.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...